2.10.2007

More About What I Do

Every morning I awaken very early. It is still dark outside, but I can hear the sounds of a new day: roosters crowing, dogs barking, buses honking, babies crying. At six the mill next door opens and I hear the engine fire up to grind the corn for the day's tortillas. My toddling host brother Pablito begins scurrying outside my room, anxious for me to come out and play with him. I rise to meet the dawn. My host mother Luvia gives me bread and a hot mug of atol, a corn beverage, and I contemplate what the day has in store. Some days I teach games and environmental lessons in the school, others I do consultations with community leaders in San Miguel. Also we have Spanish classes, group meetings with our technical trainer David, and field trips. The days are packed!

I come home in the evening and chat with Luvia as she prepares supper. I play with the babies and offer to help her, but she always declines. We talk about food and culture and what is going on in the village. There has been an outbreak of diarrhea among the children this week. The twins in my family have already recovered because Chepe and Luvia were able to bring them to the hospital to receive an injection of antibiotics, but many children from poorer families are still quite ill. We have supper once Chepe comes home from work and he tells me about the carpintry business and answers questions I have about the town. We play with the kids and sometimes watch TV. 'The Simpsons' and Pro-Wrestling are common programs in the evening. Later I go to my room and work on lesson plans, Spanish homework, or technical reading. This is the rhythm of my days now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ben Carmichael said...

Enjoying the posts, Johnnie. Keep it up! - bc

12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there John - great experience you're having. Reminds me so much of my own in Quito... except I was only there 5 months!

Enjoy,

Seth

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home