1.22.2007

Safe Arrival

Hello Everybody!

I write to you today from the Peace Corps Training Center in Santa Lucia Milpas Altas, Guatemala. I arrived in country last week and have been very busy with orientations, trainings, and getting to know my new host family as well as fellow volunteers ever since.

I am living in the small town of San Miguel Milpas Altas. My host parents, Chepe and Luvia, are actually a couple of years younger than me. Their oldest Pablo is 2 1/2, and the twins Fabio Emilio and Shirley Emilia are 12 months. The kids are adorable and Chepe and Luvia have been very kind and gracious hosts. My Spanish, spoken little since I left Nicaragua nearly two years ago, is dusting off surprisingly well so I am able to communicate and converse freely. The house has only two rooms but I am staying in a small cinder block outbuilding so I have ample space and privacy.

I will be spending the next twelve months in intensive technical, linguistic, and cross-cultural training--all very hands-on. Then I will move into the community where I will live and serve for the next two years, as an Environmental Educator.

A very special gracias to all those who have donated to the fund that I started back in Maine to support the projects I will be helping to develop here. My church has sent word that $1300 has been raised!

I'm off to a training session. Love to all, John

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Si yo podria hablar de Guatema... no alcanzarian todas las lineas de este mensaje para explicar su belleza y los hermosos recuerdos que me traen sus montañas, en especial contigo querido amigo, Dios bendiga tu trabajo estos 2 años que vienen, espero en algun momento poder visitarte o tu visitar mi tierra donde nace el sol de los Incas, siempre Tatiana.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home